Project III 044006
Development of new information and communication technologies, based on
advanced mathematical methods, with applications in medicine, telecommunications, power systems, protection of national heritage and education
Leader: Dr. Zoran Ognjanović
Researchers in mathematical logic and knowledge based systems, graph theory, operational research, cryptology etc., have all made breakthroughs in developing solutions for many problems on which modern technology and everyday life depend. The practice in Serbia shows that results obtained by our scientists remained on a theoretical level. Thus, we propose a concerted effort towards developing ICT applications of these results with the main objectives to:
- strengthen the S&T base in Serbia for the development of ICT as the core of the knowledge-based society and economy,
- utilize the knowledge of advanced mathematical methods, commonly unfamiliar to engineers, for obtaining novel or significantly improving the existing ICTs,
- help reduce the digital divide by unlocking the innovation and creativity of the partners.
The project will focus on a limited set of challenges with a firm mathematical background. It will establish cooperation between research groups in mathematics, CS, engineering, telecommunications, and arts and humanities for mutual benefit. We will concern
as the main research area, and its applications into some key socio-economic challenges (health, power systems, sharing of cultural resources) defined in the national strategy for science:
- Contributions to prediction, prevention, diagnostic and therapeutic approaches (1.2),
- New technologies for renewable energy sources and clean technology (2.2),
- The cultural heritage, creating capital works (7.7).
Keywords: advanced mathematical methods, ICT, intelligent system, health, energetics, digitization of heritage
The Project leader:
The project team will comprise 34 institutions and 192 researchers in mathematics, ICT and its applications into health, power systems, and digitization of cultural heritage. We envisage the following subprojects:
01. Intelligent clinical consultation system (subproject leader: M. Rašković)
- constructs a knowledge base about lupus, nephritis and urticaria. Some decidable formal systems for uncertain, non-monotonic, and temporally dependent reasoning will be created to form the core of a consultation system. The aim is to improve prediction, diagnostics, and therapy.
02. Advanced cryptology techniques and applied mathematics for information security in distributed systems (M. Mihaljević)
- concerns research on the improvement of existing and advanced techniques for elements of information security mechanisms for providing data secrecy and entity authentication. It will be applied in dedicated (medical, smart grid) information security systems. XdPi calculi will be considered as a model for describing mobile behavior of web data.
03. Algorithms, combinatorics and optimization (K. Vušković)
- develops graph-theoretic and combinatorial optimization techniques related to the Internet (spectral graph theory in search engines, data mining, spectral clustering, spectral filtering), optical networks (routing heuristics, minimum cost routing, wavelength assignment), mobile networks (structural graph theory, the graph coloring problem), biological networks (network alignment, integration problems) and supply chain management (solutions for routing, location and inventory).
04. Mathematical analysis of renewable energy sources (M. Nedeljkov)
- is related to collecting data about winds, making the corresponding stochastic models, including the wind energy in the electric power system of Serbia, modeling and optimizing of the mutual action of turbines.
05. Simulation, analysis and optimization of wireless telecommunication networks (A. Cvetković)
- addresses space-diversity reception techniques to investigate reliability of transmission, and mitigation of different types of fast and slow fading influences and co-channel interference on the performance of wireless systems. Statistical models will be developed for the characteristics of diversity reception signals. Simulation and analytical methods will be used to describe standard performance indicators (outage probability, average bit-error rate) for various modulation formats and channel capacities.
06. Development of intelligent systems based on data mining strategies (G. Rakočević)
- concerns algorithms for optimization, decision support, artificial intelligence, and their use in systems which provide interoperability, security, and easy management of data collected from heterogeneous sensor networks. Data mining strategies will be used for extraction of hidden knowledge from sensor data, and for recognizing semantic of images as a process linking visual representations to semantically appropriate texts.
07. Middleware for simultaneous management and control of distributed systems from municipal communal services (Z. Stajić)
- addresses interoperability of distributed systems from municipal communal services by leveraging Service Oriented Architectures. Developed software will ensure reliable communication and overcome the heterogeneity of devices and communication protocols.
08. An adaptive system of computer assisted learning (M. Stanković)
- deals with automatic creation of lecture materials according to the learning objectives, current and targeted knowledge levels, and the progress of each student. This system will be a part of an information system of a University-project partner. 3D-environments with VR will be developed for several laboratories.
09. Applications of ICT in digitization and scientific-historical-archival treatment of heritage (Ž. Mijajlović)
- continues investigation of a number (since 1995) of projects on ICT, standards and metadata for digitization, and Internet oriented systems. These projects were deemed by many authorities to be of national importance.
10. Advanced Methods in 3D Modeling and Simulating of the Original Patents of Nikola Tesla (V. Vučković)
- digitizes selected artifacts, generates 3D models and converts them to an internal domain for the interactive Unreal Engine for real-time animation.
11. A portal of Serbian Official Papers 1813-2013 (D. Domazet)
- concerns methods for semantic and multi-criteria search. Digitization of SOP, transliteration and transcription of Old Slavic language in modern Cyrillic orthography will be done to enable proper retrieval. A dedicated portal will be developed.
12. 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan: Emperor Constantine and Mediana (M. Korać)
- develops a 3D digital model of Mediana from the fourth century, an animated film about the life of Constantine, and a web-portal to enable visitors to walk around the virtual city. A hologram enabling the presentation of objects and scenes will be made.
The project will involve J. Edmonds, one of the creators of the field of combinatorial optimization, and Z. Obradovic, director of the Center for Information Science and Technology at Temple University, Philadelphia. 57 young researchers will be hired addressing the "brain drain".
Additional activities will be:
- Coordination of research agendas to facilitate the formation of sustainable long-term partnerships
- Exchange of know-how and experience
- Organization of info-days and conferences
- Dissemination and promotional activities